17 Nursing Experts Worth Knowing
The nursing expert may be an RN (Registered Nurse); but, any nurse may be able to qualify as an expert witness in nursing malpractice cases, especially if the nurse has attained certification as a Professional Legal Nurse Consultant (PLNC). Nursing experts can provide documentation and testimony in a varity of fields, from forensics to midwifery. The following nursing experts have many years’ experience in their fields, and they may be founders of consulting businesses that the legal profession can tap for expert advice.
The following list is in alphabetical order by surname.
- Kathleen S. Adams has been a practicing Respiratory Care Practitioner for over 25 years. She is credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care as a Registered Respiratory Therapist and Neonatal Pediatric Specialist. She is experienced in Inter-facility transport for both ground and air, holds instructors positions for PALS, NRP, and STABLE and teaches airway management and endotracheal intubation for hospitals across the country.
- Suzanne E. Arragg is a certified legal nurse consultant with over 20 years’ nursing experience. In 2001, Ms. Arragg founded SEA & Associates Medical Legal Consulting, Inc. Her firm assists attorneys, insurance companies and third-party administrators in medical malpractice, personal injury, drug and medical device, nursing home litigation, elder abuse and wrongful death cases. The firm also provides expert opinion and consultation services to skilled nursing facilities and staff.
- Laura Burchell-Henson is a nursing expert, consultant, life care planner and respiratory therapist with experience in giving expert testimony in deposition, trial, arbitration, mediation or hearings. She also has been retained in more than 400 cases to include medical malpractice, personal injury, products liability, workers compensation and criminal cases. Laura has been a Registered Nurse since 1990 and a licensed respiratory therapist since 1983 and is a legal nurse consultant.
- Joan Burton is a registered nurse with over 15 years of clinical experience. Joan is board certified in orthopaedic nursing, occupational health nursing and legal nurse consulting. She is an executive board member and president-elect of the Summit City Chapter of the National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses (NAON). She is also a board member for the Fort Wayne Chapter of The American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN). She is president of the Fort Wayne Chapter of the Indiana Work Comp Institute (IWCI).
- Cassandra Garcia is a certified nurse midwife and a legal nurse consultant, fully qualified to serve as an expert witness for both plaintiff and defense. She specializes in the creation of customized protocols for collaborative MD/CNM and nurse practitioner services nationwide. Some practices may not have protocols in place, or may not even be aware that they are a legal requirement of MD/CNM collaborative practice, and this is where Ms. Garcia may be of valuable service to other practitioners and to the legal community.
- Lora Lee Grutkowski, MSN, RN, FNP-BC, CNS-BC, PHN, CNOR, CRNFA, RHIT, MICN, is an expert witness and certified legal nurse consultant who specializes in medical record review and analysis for the legal profession. She can, among other services, organize and analyze medical records and determine missing medical records and prepare reports, chronologies, time lines, medical fact reports, summaries, overviews regarding medical records and issues.
- Vickie Halstead RN, CVNS, CCRN, CEN, CLNC combines her 35 years’ nursing experience with her expertise and knowledge to provide precision consulting/expert witness services to your organization. Ms. Halstead’s experience includes 18 years emergency nursing, 8 years flight nursing, 34 years critical care nursing, and 25 years of teaching, with all areas including pediatric patients. She is equipped to offer expert testimony and consultation for a wide variety of medical cases.
- Sandra Higelin offers legal nurse consulting and expert witness services with a specialty in expert witness services in Elder Abuse litigation when pressure ulcers, nutrition, dehydration, and falls are major complaints. She has been actively involved in the survey process in acute care and in long-term care settings. As an RN, she has worked as a wound care consultant, a clinical nurse specialist, a case manager, an educator, an MDS coordinator (SNF), and a staff nurse.
- Carol R. Janse has experience with high profile and complex cases. She is a certified nurse life care planner and certified legal nurse consultant. Her LCP experience includes: initiating and critiquing life care plans for spinal cord injuries, multiple trauma, multiple fractures involving amputation, traumatic brain, chronic pain (CRPS/RSD), cerebral palsy, renal failure and other related difficult issues such as: animal attacks, geriatric multiple traumas and construction site injuries.
- Cynthia Kadziulis is the founder and owner of Kadz & Associates, Legal Nurse Consulting. As an RN and certified advanced legal nurse consultant, she is highly skilled with over 24 years’ experience in health care. In addition to being Advanced Cardiac Life Support certified, she holds certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center in Mental Health and is wound care certified through the National Alliance of Wound Care.
- Gail A. King, RN, LNHA, LNC, states that she has a unique advantage over other consultants with her extensive clinical and managerial knowledge of long term care requirements. Prior to founding G.A.K. Consulting, Inc., Ms. King was the clinical specialist for Roush & Associates, Inc., the vice president for quality assurance for a multi-facility long-term care organization, and the division chief of regulatory compliance and crisis management for the A/D/S Consulting Group.
- Michele Nielsen, RN, MA, CCM, CRC, COHN-S, CPDM, CLCP, has over 30 years of experience as a Registered Nurse, over 20 years as a rehabilitation counselor, and over 10 years as a life care planner. Located in Portland, OR, she is licensed in Oregon and Washington and holds national certifications in Rehab. Counseling, Life Care Planning, Medicare Set-Aside Consulting and Disability Management. She is a powerful witness, having testified for both plaintiff and defense in State & Federal court. She is available nationwide.
- Donna M. Post, RN, BSN, MBA/HCM, CLNC, LNCP-C is a Registered Nurse with 25 years of experience ranging from critical care to healthcare management. She currently is a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant and Certified Lifecare Planner and the founder of Mid-Valley Legal Nurse Consulting, Inc. MVLNC provides effective identification of practice standards, regulatory standards, adherence and/or deviations to these standards. They serve attorneys, insurance companies, healthcare facilities and others.
- Jan Roughan, BSN, PHN, RN,CRRN, CNLCP, CCM, is a rehabilitation nurse specialist who functions in the capacity of case manager, life care planner and expert witness. Her company, Roughan & Associates at LINC, Inc., is a nationally recognized case management and medical/legal consulting service. Diagnoses include, but are not limited to, neurological injuries (brain and spinal cord injury), burns, orthopaedic injures, amputation, chronic pain and post traumatic stress disorder.
- Alice Semingson, RNC, CLNC, CALA, BA-P, is the principal of ASH Geriatrics. She brings over 20 years’ experience in the senior living industry. Ms. Semingson has formulated policies and strategies as well as identifying relevant education and social protection for an HIV unit in the long term care setting. Ms. Semingson developed a national resident services manual for the assisted living industry, and has identified and reviewed medical records, hospital and long term care policies and procedures and other essential documents and billing records as a legal nurse consultant.
- Sandra J. Slosberg, RN, CCHP (Certified Correctional Health Professional) is the founder and director of MEDSEARCH, Legal Nurse Consultants, established in 1993. She also is an active member of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants, and is director-at-large for the Bay Area Chapter of Northern California. Ms. Slosberg is an expert witness in correctional healthcare, medical/surgical, obstetrical/gynecological, telephone triage (advice), ambulatory/outpatient clinical nursing, and women’s healthcare.
- Melissa T. Yetter is president of Health Care Experts and Consultants (HCEC), a company that can provide attorneys with expert witnesses in many health care areas, such as assisted living, nursing homes, hospital and acute care, hospice, bariatric and/or gastric by-pass and LAP band surgeries, Alzheimer’s Disease, wound care, falls, nutrition and regulatory enforcements, among other areas.
Did you enjoy this article?